1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Employment Visas
  4.  » Types Of Employment Visas
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Employment Visas
  4.  » Types Of Employment Visas

Business- And Employment-Related Nonimmigrant Visas

We have provided a list of the many types of employment visas you may be seeking:

B-1 Business Visitor:

Business visitors can travel to the United States for up to 6 months for business trips. The use of this visa is restricted and does not permit a person to be employed or paid for services provided in the United States.

E-1 Treaty-Trader:

This visa is for nationals of countries who have entered into treaties with the United States and are coming to the United States to carry on substantial trade principally between the United States and the treaty country.

E-2 Treaty-Investor:

This visa is for nationals of a treaty country engaging in investment in the United States who have invested, or are in the process of investing, substantial capital in a real and operating commercial enterprise. The investor must also develop and direct the enterprise.


This visa is for foreign workers in “specialty occupations” whose work requires a bachelor’s degree or higher in a specific specialty occupation. A U.S. employer using this program must guarantee that (1) the foreign-born professional will be paid at or above the rate paid for a similar position at the employer’s own offices; (2) the foreign worker will not “adversely affect” the working conditions of his U.S. colleagues; (3) U.S. colleagues will be given notice of the foreign worker’s presence among them; and (4) there is no strike or lockout at the work site.

H-3 Job Trainees:

This visa is for an alien coming to the United States to receive training in an approved on-the-job training program in any field or profession including commercial enterprises (except for graduate medical training). The training sought must be unavailable in the alien’s country of origin.

J-1 Exchange Visitor:

This program allows foreign nationals to gain special training and experience that they could not get in their home countries so that the home country can benefit. In most cases, the alien must return to the home country and work for at least two years, and the alien cannot obtain a green card in the U.S. without a special waiver. Examples of J-1 visitors are: A trainee receiving on-the-job training with firms, institutions and/or agencies in a specialized field of knowledge, a teacher giving instruction in established primary or secondary schools or established schools offering specialized instruction, and/or a professor or research scholar conducting advanced research in an established institution of higher learning.

L-1: Intra-Company transferees:

L visas include intra-company transfers from a foreign company to a U.S. company where the employee must be an executive, manager or a person with specialized knowledge. The employee must have been employed in the company’s foreign location for one out of the last three years immediately preceding the filing of the petition. Their employment outside the United States during the qualifying period must have been in a managerial or executive capacity for and on behalf of the foreign employer.


This visa is for aliens with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics, as demonstrated by sustained national or international acclaim, who are coming to the United States temporarily for the purpose of continuing work in the area of extraordinary ability.


This visa is for those entertainers and athletes who do not qualify under the O category. Example: 1) internationally-recognized, alien athletes who compete individually or as part of a team; and 2) internationally-recognized, alien entertainment groups and their essential support personnel.


This visa is for alien artists and entertainers (individuals or groups) who participate in a reciprocal exchange program between U.S. and foreign organizations and their essential support personnel.


This visa is for alien artists and entertainers (individuals or groups) who will perform under a program that is culturally unique. The law defines this purpose as developing, interpreting, representing, coaching or teaching a unique or traditional ethnic, folk, cultural, musical, theatrical or artistic performance.


This visa is for religious workers coming to the U.S. to work in a religious vocation, profession or occupation for a bona fide nonprofit, religious organization in the United States. The religious worker must have been a member of the organization’s same religious denomination for at least two years immediately prior to the R-1 visa petition process.

TN Category:

As a result of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), business investors, traders, intra-company transferees and professionals from Canada and Mexico may be eligible for nonimmigrant visas into the U.S.

Take Action To Protect Your Rights

If you or a loved one has an immigration situation and you need the help of an experienced immigration lawyer, call the attorneys at Schwartz Posel Immigration Law Group today at 770-951-1100, or complete the contact form provided on this site to schedule your free email consultation.

We are located in Atlanta but serve far beyond Georgia. We assist clients across the world in securing visas to come to the U.S.