What are the options for helping your children immigrate?

On Behalf of | Jun 23, 2022 | Family Immigration

Many people in the United States have beloved family members in another country. Some people even have children living abroad that they haven’t seen in years. Maybe you had children with a citizen of another country, or perhaps you have immigrated to the United States yourself in either situation, you may have children that you love but rarely see because they are citizens of another country.

You may be able to help your children enter the United States and live here with you if your file an immigration petition on their behalf. If they pass the background check and your relationship meets the necessary criteria, they could receive visas or even green cards.

What are your options for helping your children immigrate?

If you have a green card

Individuals who qualify for green cards become permanent residents. Not only do permanent residents have the comfort of knowing they can stay in the United States legally for the rest of their lives, but they have more ways to help their loved ones than people with work visas.

Permanent residents can sometimes sponsor their close family members for entry into the country or for a green card of their own. You can potentially submit a petition on behalf of your children who are unmarried and under the age of 21. There is a second, lower priority program available for unmarried children who are over the age of 21.

If you are a United States citizen

As a United States citizen, there are more ways for you to help your children enter the country than there are for others. The most straightforward program focuses on unmarried children under the age of 21, as with permanent residents. However, you can also sponsor your unmarried children over the age of 21. There is even a program to bring your married child, their spouse and any children they have to the country.

Those with older children and married children may find that acquiring citizenship is worthwhile solely for how it expands there are opportunities for bringing their family members to the country. Knowing the different family-based immigration options will help you give your children the best possible life.



FindLaw Network