What kind of employment visa do I need?

On Behalf of | Feb 9, 2022 | Business Visas

Many people enter the United States for employment opportunities. Those with professional skills or extensive education might get an offer for a job from a company in America. They could also have an opportunity for a new position at their current company if it extends into the U.S. market.

There are many different kinds of employment visas available, and some of them are easier to obtain than others.  Learning about the most popular and common employment visas can help you select the visa program that will work for your professional needs. How do you know what kind of employment visa is right for your circumstances?

Training visas

There are educational visas for students and training visas for workers who need specialized education only available in the United States.

The H-3 visa is a trainee visa that allows you to stay in the United States while receiving training that your company only offers at domestic facilities. The J-1 exchange visa also allows someone who is a resident or citizen of another country to enter the United States for training and for work for up to two years in the United States after they complete that training.

Intracompany transfer visas

The L-1 visa program is ideal for someone taking a new position with their current employer. If your company operates in multiple countries, you can qualify for an L-1 visa if you leave their operations in another country to work in the United States. Generally, you either need to have specialized job skills or fulfill managerial duties to qualify for an L-1 visa.

Unique or highly-skilled worker visas

One of the most common reasons for a company to hire a foreign national for a job is their unique skill set or educational background. There are several visas that can help someone with specialized job skills enter the United States.

The H-1B visa helps those with college degrees and specialized jobs. The O-1 visa is an option for those with extraordinary talent or a history of success in the sciences, arts, athletics, or business. The P-1 visa is an option for athletes and entertainers, as are the P-2 and P-3 visas.



FindLaw Network