What are the most common employment visas available?

On Behalf of | Jun 23, 2022 | Employment Immigration

Securing a temporary or non-immigrant employment visa can be an ideal solution for those with professional ambition and a desire to enter the United States. Workers in a broad range of professions and with various different backgrounds can potentially enter the United States because of a job or business opportunity.

These foreign nationals can apply for connected visas that allow their spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 to travel with them. Eventually, workers in the country through non-immigrant visa programs may qualify for green cards or for naturalization.

If you hope to travel to the United States for work, you may want to look into one of the employment visa programs below.

Investment and trading visa

The E visa program focuses primarily on traders and investors. If the country where you currently live has a trade treaty with the United States and you need to enter the country to conduct business or invest in a company expansion, you may qualify for a visa.

Highly skilled and trained worker visas

The H visa program focuses on highly educated, highly skilled and experienced employees. Those who have at least bachelor’s degrees, who conduct specialized research or who work in high-demand occupations may be able to qualify for a domestic job or even job training through the H visa program.

Internal company transfer visas

The L-1 visa is an option for those working at an international company. This visa program allows international workers to take a job at a domestic branch of a company that they work for abroad. They could also transfer to the United States to help establish domestic operations for their company.

Specialty career visas

Individuals with extraordinary skills may qualify for a specialty O visa, although such individuals are rare by definition. Those who work in the arts and entertainment, including athletes, may qualify for specialty P visas.

Religious workers have their own visa program, as do individuals who create cultural-based entertainment and could bring information about those foreign cultures to the United States. There’s even a specialty visa program for those traveling to the United States from Canada or Mexico in accordance with international treaties.

Learning more about the various employment-based visa programs can help you determine which visas would most likely apply in your situation.



FindLaw Network