Which type of employment visa do I need?

On Behalf of | Dec 24, 2020 | Employment Immigration

It can get confusing when you see all the different types of employment-based visas the United States offers. Here is a brief overview of some of the most important immigrant and non-immigrant visas based on employment for people looking to come to Atlanta to work.

H-1B visas

This is the visa for people who work in “specialty occupations” that require at least a bachelor’s degree. An H-1B visa lasts for up to three years and can be extended for up to three more years. The employer must show that hiring a foreign national will not harm the wages or working conditions of U.S. workers.

E-2 visas

This visa is for investors who are from certain countries that have treaties with the U.S. and wish to come to this country to invest in a business. To qualify, the investor must put substantial money into the business and develop and direct it.

L-1 visas

When international companies want to transfer an employee to a U.S.-based location, they might apply for an L-1 visa. The employee must be an executive or manager or have specialized knowledge. The employee must also have worked at their employer’s non-U.S. location for at least one of the previous three years as a manager or executive.

O-1 visas

The O-1 visa is reserved for people with “extraordinary ability” in one of these fields: business, the arts, sports, education, or science. To prove they have “extraordinary ability,” the person must show they are well-known nationally or internationally in their field. They must be coming to the U.S. temporarily to continue their work.

To find out which type of employment-based visa is right for you, consult an immigration attorney.



FindLaw Network