If you lose your job, do you have to leave the U.S.?

On Behalf of | Oct 21, 2020 | Family Immigration

You’ve been employed at your workplace for several years, but when you went to work and saw that the doors were shut and locked, you weren’t sure what to do.

Your employer was the one who made it possible for you to stay and work in the United States. Now, you are worried that you may not be able to stay legally. Can you be deported? What should you do?

It’s important to note that there is the potential to be deported no matter how long you’ve been in the United States, as long as you aren’t a citizen. If you have an immigration visa and overstay that visa, work when you’re not authorized to do so or violate the law in other ways, then you could be issued a deportation order.

If that happens, it’s important for you to fight the deportation proceedings. You have a few things you can do. Your attorney will go over your specific options, but some of the things they’ll try to do for you include:

  • Helping you seek asylum status, if it applies
  • Seeking the cancellation of the removal order
  • Helping you get a waiver under the Immigration and Nationality Act
  • Helping you obtain permanent resident status
  • Assisting you with a voluntary departure from the United States

Getting the right help makes a difference when you find yourself at risk of deportation. Your attorney can help you understand your rights and what to do if you’re at risk of deportation yourself. Our site has more on the steps to take next, now that you are without the job that sponsored you.



FindLaw Network