Visas for athletic competitors: P-1A or P-1B visa

On Behalf of | Jul 28, 2020 | Employment Immigration

Sports enthusiasts and businesses in Georgia may want to be aware of the type of visa that is used to bring athletic competitors to the United States. It is a temporary visa for internationally recognized athletes. It is given to those who solely come here to compete or perform.

Those who may apply for this type of visa is laid out by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. These individuals include professional athletes, coaches and members of internationally recognized teams. Other qualifying people include those who are members of teams or franchises that are located in the United States as well as amateur or professional athletes who are temporarily traveling to the country to perform in certain theatrical ice skating tours or productions either individually or as part of a group.

The P-1A pertains to an internationally recognized athlete. This person must be coming to the U.S. to take part in an internationally recognized event. An internationally recognized team must have achieved recognition in the sport. Members must not perform other services.

The P-1B applies to members of internationally recognized entertainment groups that have a reputation. At least 75% of the members must have belonged to the group for at least a year. Circus members are exempt from the one-year requirement, and they must be entering the country to join a nationally recognized circus.

A P-1S visa is for support personnel who are an integral part of the performance. These can include such workers as coaches, scouts, trainers, broadcasters, camera operators, lighting technicians, stage workers and others.

Working in the US and navigating the types of visas may be made easier with assistance from an employment immigration attorney who is versed in employment law. Pursuing an opportunity in America is beneficial, so workers should be sure that their visas are in order. The right visa is required by the USCIS, and an employment immigration lawyer might help.



FindLaw Network