How to apply for a K-1 or K-2 visa

On Behalf of | Jul 3, 2020 | Family Immigration

United States citizens residing in Georgia or any other state who are planning to marry a foreign national may be able to obtain a K-1 nonimmigrant visa for that person. If that individual has a son or daughter who is under the age of 21 and unmarried, that child may also be allowed to enter the country on a K-2 visa. The first step in the process of obtaining a K-1 visa is to complete and submit Form I-129F.

The form will ask to recognize the relationship between the United States citizen and foreign national. If the relationship is deemed to be legitimate, the foreign national is granted a visa and given up to six months to enter the country. When that person reaches a port of entry, a government official will determine if he or she will be admitted into the country.

Assuming that this takes place, a United States citizen and K-1 visa recipient have 90 days to get married. After the wedding takes place, the foreign spouse can apply to become a permanent resident by filing Form I-485. Typically, both parties to the marriage will be required to participate in an interview before a green card is issued. An individual may receive conditional permanent residency status if a couple has been married for less than two years when an application is approved.

Those who wish to come to the United States for the purposes of getting married may benefit from working with a family immigration attorney. An attorney may help a foreign national complete paperwork or respond to requests for evidence in a timely manner. Legal counsel may also be able to help immigrants secure permanent resident status for themselves and their qualifying children after they are officially married to American citizens.



FindLaw Network