Filing for a green card inside the United States

On Behalf of | Feb 26, 2020 | Adjustment Of Status

Some people in Georgia may come to the country for a variety of reasons but later wish to become permanent residents. It may be possible for many people to remain in the country and become lawful permanent residents through the adjustment of status process. This can help someone who held a nonimmigrant visa or immigration parole to convert to an immigrant status and obtain a green card. There are different criteria that people may need to meet in order to be eligible for an adjustment of status inside the country. Those who may not do so might still be able to apply for a green card at a consulate outside the United States.

In the first place, people seeking adjustment of status must be in the country. In most cases, they must have entered legally although there are some exceptions, such as those for battered spouses and abused children. Some people may want to become permanent residents through family-based immigration while others may use an employment-based process. There are also special cases and humanitarian options available to some individuals. In some cases, a family member or employer may file a petition to begin the process.

After that petition is filed, the person seeking a green card can file an application for permanent residence. In some categories, particularly non-family immigrant categories, the number of green cards available each year is limited, so people may want to make sure there is availability before beginning the process. They will be asked to provide information, including fingerprints and photographs, and potentially attend an interview.

The adjustment of status process may be confusing to many people, and there may be ways to help ensure that an application meets the guidelines. An immigration law attorney may work with people to help them pursue a green card and become a lawful permanent resident.



FindLaw Network