Can I come to the US for employment training?

On Behalf of | Nov 13, 2019 | Business Visas

You’ve just got word of your new job, including all the training that goes with it. But you’re not just heading around the block for your instruction, you’ll need to head to the U.S.

It may seem intimidating at first, but the process for getting permission could be easier than you think. You’ll likely need to apply for a B-1 visa, which could allow you into the country for up to six months to conduct your business. If your trip qualifies, the U.S. could welcome you with open arms to complete your new training.

Traveling the distance

Visas are handed out on a case by case basis, so you’ll want to make sure you have a grasp of the steps before you begin the process:

  • Eligibility: Check your status within the Visa Waiver Program, which lets citizens of qualifying countries come to the U.S. for up to 90 days without a visa. If you aren’t coming from one of the 36 countries on the list, you’ll probably have to apply for a visa.
  • Purpose: The U.S. allows for temporary visits for things like training, meetings and conferences, but being paid for work you conduct in a U.S. office could be off-limits. Make sure your intentions fall in line with the visa you’re seeking.
  • Interview: You’ll probably be applying for the visa at a U.S. Embassy in your own country, or a country where you have binding ties. That is usually where your interview will take place to gain an understanding of the nature of your visit. It’s often crucial to make sure you’re applying at the correct location to avoid delays or other issues.

Even brief visits can become a complex process, so make sure you know the system before you begin your application to help ensure the best outcome. Head down the right path, and you could be well on your way to starting your job after some time well-spent in the U.S.



FindLaw Network